Monday, October 10, 2011

Sir Paul and His New Bride

When I was eleven years old, I was convinced that I would one day marry Paul McCartney of The Beatles. I had read the fan magazine stories about his love affair with Jane Asher, but didn't care, because I was certain that I was the one and he was my prince charming.


I was a typical American girl who hung posters of the fab-four on the back of my bedroom door and gazed at Paul every day. My star-struck attraction never led me to make any plans of how I would actually meet Paul or if I would ever travel to London for a chance meeting. I just simply loved him, his innocent eyes and his songwriting.

The day that my future husband moved into my house, hauling in all of his "man-stuff" was a huge life-changing experience for me. I discovered that his framed life-size poster of the cover of the "Introducing the Beatles" album was not as significant to me as in the past. Hanging the poster on my living room wall was against my decorating tastes, but I compromised and agreed it would hang in the downstairs rec room. I no longer felt a flickering flame when I looked at Paul, who had now invaded my country-french interior decorating styles with the look of college dorm.

The day eventually arrived when Paul married Linda Eastman and I knew my chances were nill, reflecting on my childhood with a smile. Heather Mills came along in recent years and now his new bride, much younger than Sir Paul, exited the town hall yesterday in London after sealing their vows.

So, that is that. Will she still need him and feed him when he is seventy-four or ninety-four? Best wishes and good luck to my dear James Paul.

1 comment: