Friday, October 15, 2010

Read Aloud at The Ohio State University

On Thursday, October 14th, I had the honor of being invited to read excerpts from my new book, “Single 101: 101 Reasons to Celebrate Being Single” at the Thompson Library on the main campus of The Ohio State University.


What an extraordinary experience it was to share the same space where great authors have presented their works. Sitting in a comfy leather chair by the grand fireplace, I looked out into quite a diverse, global audience, as if the whole world was there listening to my stories. Panning across the room into everyone’s eyes, I could feel a joining of souls who appeared to be searching and hoping for the secret to happiness.

An oriental student named Yin asked if there was anything in the book about children and I sighted two vignettes where I write about women who were married, preparing to divorce their husbands, but waiting for the right time to exit in order to protect their children. Yin stated that his greatest concern about marriage is that children could possibly be the cause of a failed marriage or relationship.

Most of the students in the audience were perfect examples of current statistics that show more single people are developing their careers, building wealth and social status before committing to marriage. Closing the program with Reason #24, You Don’t Have to Be Afraid to Go It Alone, I sensed a peaceful feeling, noticing many audience members smiling with validation and courage in their eyes. As they exited the reading room, walking off into their future lives, I couldn’t help but wonder where life would take them and I wish them all great success.

What a wonderful afternoon of meeting new friends, stimulating conversation and smiles. Thanks to all of you for your interest and support of “Single 101”!

http://library.osu.edu/news/2010-fall-readaloud/listen-to-readaloud/

No comments:

Post a Comment